- BRIEF REMARKS BY AG. IGP MOHAMMED A. ADAMU, NPM, mni, THE INSPECTOR GENERAL OF POLICE DURING DECORATION OF NEWLY PROMOTED DEPUTY INSPECTORS GENERAL OF POLICE AND MEMBERS OF THE FORCE MANAGEMENT TEAM ON 4TH FEBRUARY 2019
It is with a deep sense of professional fulfilment that I welcome you to this event which marks the decoration of the newly promoted Deputy Inspectors General of Police and the inauguration of the Force Management Team. I am particularly delighted by this ceremony because it signifies not just a due reward for the professional excellence that has been the hallmark of the officers being decorated today, but it also marks the effective take off of the management team that will support the actualisation of my policing vision as the 20th indigenous Inspector General of Police.
2. The Honourable Minister, ladies and gentlemen, no organisation rises above the quality, competence and dedication of its management team as well as the depth of the goals set for the organisation. It is in line with this reality that the emphasis of my leadership is predicated on two critical principles. First is to define a clear policing vision and strategy that will guide my leadership in dealing with internal security threats with prioritisation being on the upcoming general elections and highly organised crimes that of national security consequences. Second is to identify and emplace sound professional and intellectual minds to support me in giving effect to the strategies towards attaining my policing vision.
3. I am glad that the senior officers being decorated are not only professionally and intellectually deep, their wealth of experience shall be helpful in aiding the attainment of my vision and perfecting my goals. I therefore, thank the Police Service Commission for supporting the Force in identifying these great professional minds and appointing them as Deputy Inspectors General of Police and members of the Force Management Team.
4. In so doing, let me clearly emphasise that policing standards and practices have to change in Nigeria if only we want to restore citizensí trust and attain our mandate in the most effective manner. We therefore, need to re-strategise and take the Police back to the community. We have to also evolve new thoughts and embrace new orientation as a Police Organisation, to work with the citizens, neighbourhood, and other strategic security actors as a pathway towards addressing communal crimes.
5. Henceforth, therefore, Community Policing strategy shall drive policing functions at all levels under my leadership and I look forward to working with the new Force Management Team towards giving effect to this policing vision. Indeed, in the coming days, a Community Policing Implementation Steering Committee composed of seasoned Nigerians and experts on community policing will be inaugurated to support us in driving this process.
6. To the new Deputy Inspectors General of Police, as we celebrate your professional feat today, you must see your elevation as a call to national duty. It is also a clear statement that under my leadership, merit shall be the overriding standard that will guide promotion. You need to, therefore, rededicate yourself to service to the Nigeria Police and the nation. The task of policing a complex nation like ours is undoubtedly arduous. But with your individual and collective experiences, I am confident that together, we can surmount the challenge.
7. On behalf of the Nigeria Police Family, I congratulate you and your family on your well-deserved promotion and wish you Godís guidance, strength of character, and wisdom in the performance of your schedules.
8. To our guests, I thank you for sharing the joy of the moment with us and pray that God continues to protect our nation. Thank you all, for your attendance.