Zone 9 was established in December 2000, but commenced its operation in January, 2001. It is located in the South-Eastern Geopolitical Zone of Nigeria and comprises of Enugu, Anambra, Imo, and Abia States with its Headquarters in Umuahia. As at the time of compiling this report the zone was headed by AIG Usaman Akila Gwarry. The entire zone has a population of about 14,208,234 based on the 2006 census figures and combined police strength of 49,791 officers and men.
In the year under review, Abia State Police Command as a result of loyalty and commitment to duty exhibited by the officers and men of the command recorded a remarkable achievement in crime fighting. A total of 7 vehicles and assorted arms were recovered from hoodlums. Anambra State Command also made remarkable achievements by recording fifty five cases of armed robbery including Two hundred and Twelve suspects. Twelve cases with thirty six suspects were charged to court with three of the suspects convicted, forty-two of the cases under investigation and a total of Two hundred and twenty weapons of various categories were recovered.
Enugu State Police Command was confronted with violent crimes such as Armed Robbery, Kidnapping and cultism but with the efforts of the committed officers of the command, the crimes were confronted head-on leading to the arrest of Seven Hundred and forty-seven Armed Robbery suspects, recovery of thirty-six assorted arms, one hundred and twenty-four stolen vehicles, one hundred and twenty kidnap suspects were arrested among whom Forty-nine were charged to court.
Imo state police command recorded a total number of 3, 819 cases 5226 persons arrested, 1074 cases prosecuted, 93 cases and 668 persons convicted, 981 cases waiting trail, 1,371 under investigation while 300 were refused. 253 persons discharged, 1840 persons awaiting trial while the remaining 2465 persons are under investigation.
* Lack of barracks accommodation.
* Insufficient operational vehicles.
* Inadequate communication gadgets.
* Inadequate Manpower.
MANPOWER WASTAGE FOR ZONE 9 COMMAND HEADQUARTERS, ABUJA, 2012
|S/NO||TYPE OF WASTAGE||TOTAL (JAN-DEC) 2012|
- PRESS RELEASE PRESIDENT ORDERS IGP TO MOVE TO BENUE STATE TO RESTORE LAW AND ORDER AND PREVENT FURTHER LOSS OF LIVES AND ATTACKS IN GUMA AND LOGO LGAS OF THE STATE Read more
- PRESS RELEASE RE: RECENT KILLINGS IN GUMA AND LOGO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREAS IN BENUE STATE AND CROSS OVER NIGHT KILLINGS IN OMOKU AND YESTERDAY KILLINGS IN ANDONI RIVERS STATE Read more
- PRESS RELEASE RE - CHRISTMAS: POLICE BEEF UP SECURITY NATIONWIDE Read more
- PRESS RELEASE PARADE OF THIRTY (30) VICIOUS AND NOTORIOUS KIDNAP FOR RANSOM/ARMED ROBBERY/CATTLE RUSTLING GANGS INCLUDING SUSPECTS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE KIDNAP AND KILLING OF A PORTUGUESE EXPATRAITE ATTACHED TO DANGOTE GROUP OF COMPANY ALONG OBAJANA, KABBA ROAD, KOGI STATE AND TWO POLICEMEN ATTACHED TO THE EXPATRAITE BY CSP JIMOH MOSHOOD, FORCE PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER AT THE KOGI STATE POLICE COMMAND HEADQUARTERS, LOKOJA, ON 27TH DECEMBER, 2017. Read more