FIB is the apex of intelligence gathering in the Force. It is the only arm of the Force that provides Intelligence on Crime and National Security
Its Functions are:
- Collection, collation, assessment/evaluation and dissemination of Criminal Intelligence affecting the activities of criminals with particular reference to organized crimes.
- To serve as a think-tank or reservoir for information on identification of criminals, exchange of information, keeping of criminal records.
- Identify criminal syndicates carrying out criminal activities using gangster techniques.
- Disseminate criminal intelligence to various police formations on a continuous basis.
- Maintain surveillance on organized gangs, Identify members, associates, daily activities and method of operation.
- Maintain a system of criminal intelligence on itinerant hardened criminals who specializes in cross border banditry.